|Carson: Passage of Stimulus Package is Only the First Step in What is Going to be a Long Economic Recovery Process|
January 28, 2009
Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman André Carson joined 243 of his House colleagues in supporting H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. H.R. 1 seeks to create and save 3 to 4 million American jobs and improve our nation’s declining economy by giving tax cuts to 95 percent of American workers, boosting infrastructure spending and increasing federal aid to states.
“Passage of this economic recovery package is the first step in a series of vital measures that will be taken up by Congressional Democrats this year that will create jobs, invest in our nation’s aging infrastructure and mend our broken economy. By modernizing
“I am hopeful that the Senate will work in a bipartisan manner to approve this legislation and finish the job by sending this economic recovery package to President Obama. With a staggering 2.6 million
This jobs and economic recovery plan contains targeted efforts in:
· Transforming Our Economy With Clean, Efficient, American Energy and Innovation and Technology that will create more than 1 million jobs;
· Lowering Health Care Costs by funding aggressive adoption of health information technology, which will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, and Broadening Coverage by helping those who cannot afford health care in these tough times.;
· Modernizing Roads, Bridges, Transit and Waterways to create 1.5 million American jobs;
· Education for the 21st Century, including an increased Pell Grant for 145,844 students here in
· Tax Cuts of up to $1,000 to Make Work Pay for 2,229,000 taxpayers here in Indiana and more than $20 billion for American businesses, large and small, to spur job creation; and
· Saving the Jobs of Teachers and Police Officers.
The Recovery Plan has unprecedented accountability measures built in—providing strong oversight, an historic degree of public transparency, and including no earmarks.
TAX ASSISTANCE INFORMATION