Rep. Carson Unveils House Democrats’ New $760 Billion Framework to Make Transformative Infrastructure Investments Across U.S.
Washington, DC -- Today, Congressman André Carson, a senior member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, unveiled House Democrats’ new framework for a five-year, $760 billion investment in America’s infrastructure.
The plan would create an estimated 10 million jobs addressing some of the country’s most urgent infrastructure needs, from the massive maintenance backlog, to designing safer streets, to putting the U.S. on a path toward zero carbon pollution, and more. This framework would bolster the federal role in order to help communities around the country undertake transformative projects that are smarter, safer and made to last.
“Indiana is proud to be the crossroads of America. Hoosiers understand better than most the need to maintain and improve America’s infrastructure, and create bold, 21st Century solutions that help spur innovation, economic growth and sustainability,” said Rep. Carson. “This framework puts Indiana, and the rest of America, on that path. I believe it is the roadmap we need to get people to work building the infrastructure of the future. I look forward to working with my House colleagues to move forward on infrastructure legislation.”
Among other things, the framework outlines major investments, including those in surface transportation, rail and transit systems, airports, ports and harbors, wastewater and drinking water infrastructure, brownfields and broadband.
It’s infrastructure investment that is smarter, safer and made to last – with a framework that:
- Brings existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Sets a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensures a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provides safe, clean, affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritizes the safety of the traveling public.
- Helps combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expands broadband internet access, including adoption for unserved and underserved rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Modernizes 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Creates family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Supports U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections